9 Ways to Hide Muffin Top With Fashion - Sensible Stylista

9 Ways to Hide Muffin Top With Fashion

Alright guys, let's be real.  It's wintertime, and many of us - ahem, me - have packed on a few extra pounds.  To be honest, I've always been really self-conscious about my mid-section, even when I was super in shape  - I was a fitness nut back in NYC circa 2008!  No one could tell because I looked fine, but it didn't matter because I wasn't happy with my body.  I've always wanted to reach the Hollywood standard but was too lazy and undisciplined. I'm taking major steps to change that all now, but I'll save that conversation for another time.  In the meantime, I'm going to drop some serious knowledge on y'all! Obviously, the best way to beat muffin top is to exercise, but the second best way is to read my post, ha!  Just to be clear, this post is NOT about body shaming - I believe beauty comes in all shapes and sizes.  So, without further ado, let's get crackin':

1.  High-waisted bottoms are a godsend.  Think of them as your wardrobe BFFs - reliable, comfortable, and flattering.  They mask your midsection by highlighting your natural waist while conveniently elongating your legs. Trust me when I say you want to avoid low-rise cuts like the plague.  Unless you have zero back fat, they'll cinch and accentuate your bod in the worst way possible.  If you're not a fan of the high-waist, try mid-rise.  It's not quite as forgiving, but it still works.  Note:  I actually mentioned this tip in my article, "How-to: Look 10lbs Lighter."


2.  Throw on a pair of spanx.  This may be a no-brainer for some of you, but I'm listing it anyway.  If you don't own shapewear at this point of your life, you need to go pick some up stat because you're missing out, like, this is where the party's at.  You will seriously look a size (or two) smaller with it on, and it looks super natural because it magically smooths your figure out.  I personally like high-waisted boyshorts, but camisoles work well too.
1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 || 6

3.  Avoid cropped outerwear altogether.  Fight muffin top by covering it up!  A long cardigan will do wonders for your bod.  It'll elongate like whoa while camouflaging your midsection.  If you want more shape, belt your cardi for an hourglass silhouette!  A fitted blazer will also do the trick, and as a plus, you'll instantly add polish to your look.  

4.  Don't wear clingy tops.  Go for loose - but not baggy - pieces that have movement. Make sure you pay attention to draping.  Your top should have weight to avoid a potentially unflattering fit. Thick, structured tops are extremely forgiving.  Slinky materials, on the other hand, will enhance bulges. Stick with forgiving fabrics like chiffon and purchase a few long tops as well.  They should hit you mid-thigh to slenderize your thighs and cover your midsection.  


5.  Go for pieces with empire waists. They emphasize the narrowest part of your upper body, which in turn draws the eye away from your midsection.  Try wearing a peplum top - it's super girly and cute! If that doesn't really float your boat, you can create a similar illusion with flashy jewelry.  Throw on an eye-catching necklace to call attention to your neckline instead of your problem area/s.
6.  Rock a dress! In my opinion, they're far more flattering (and comfortable) than pants anyways. Keep an eye out for cute shifts and a-lines.  If you're not a fan of boxy silhouettes, no worries!  You can always throw on a skinny belt to create an hourglass figure.

7.  Sport darker colors up top.  Actually, when in doubt, just wear black, ha.  Just kidding but not really. I'm not going to elaborate on this rule because I think it's self-explanatory, but there's one thing you should keep in mind.  All black is obviously hella flattering, but you can wear the color strategically as well. If you're heavy up top, wear a black dolman shirt.  If you're looking to minimize your legs/booty, throw on a pair of dark high-waisted bottoms. The contrast will amplify the color's effect.

8.  Size up.  It'll make a huge difference - you'll look hotter and feel so much more comfortable. Frankly, I don't get why people obsess over sizing. Wear what looks best. Period.  It's not like you have your size printed on the front anyways, and even if you did, who cares?  If someone gives you flack about your body, it's a reflection on them, not you.

9.  Colorblock like nobody's business.  Choose pieces with black paneling on the side! They'll shave off serious pounds.  
I hope you guys find these tips helpful!  I'd love to hear your tricks so make sure you comment below!  Also, I'm currently taking requests for posts so let me know if you want me to cover something in particular.

4 comments