How-to: Organize Your Closet - Sensible Stylista

How-to: Organize Your Closet

For today's post, I've decided to share my closet setup with you guys.  I'm kind of OCD, so I always make sure my closet is meticulously organized.  It's so much easier to style outfits when things are in order.  
1.  Use shelves,drawers, and/or bins to store pieces that don't wrinkle.  I divide my clothing into 5 categories and fold accordingly:  skirts, shorts, tee-shirts, tanks, and pants.
2. Layer pieces of the same color & style on a single hanger, especially if you're trying to save space!

3. Color-code your wardrobe to style outfits with ease.  You'll never have to ransack your closet again.  
4. Store miscellaneous items in hanging storage racks.  I keep my socks, tights, and leggings here.  This may be too OCD for some people, but I like dividing them into sub-categories (i.e. patterned tights & black socks).  
5.  Invest in a belt ring or two.  I used to roll my belts up, but it's so much quicker to just hang them.  As an added plus, their shapes stay intact.
6.  I store most of purses in an oversized bin, but I like to place structured pieces upright.  I also like to stuff my bags with old clothing to preserve their shape.  
7.  Store your jewelry in pouches!  I hang most of my necklaces & earrings but store the rest in boxes and bags in a compartment.

8.  Hang statement necklaces on the walls with clear thumbtacks! It's a really practical way to display jewelry.  Plus it doubles as wall art.

21 comments

  1. Marvellous closet doll, I wish I had a space that big for all my clothes, maybe when I move. It's high up on my list for the next place :D Organized closets are a a must. I have my clothes all colour coordinated like a rainbow :)) Super post. Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some nice tips. Too bad I don't have a huge closet like that.

    with love, Cassandra xx
    http://backtofive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I have a thing too for organizing my closet. And once I start, I have to finish it haha.

    Aetherlily.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. You offered some good tips, but I would love to have the closet of the size of yours, mine is small and I have to share it... =(

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so organized! I color code too and hang my jewelry on those cute jewelry hangers. I also have taken to putting my favorite necklaces on my doorknob, so I just grab it as I'm heading out of my room. And I have a few command hangers for my belts and scarves on the wall. I'm even thinking of screwing a towel rack onto my wall for more scarves and belts haha.

    Lovely tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! I have in my closet big mess :D Btw I like your blog. Do you want to follow each other? :)

    Kisses
    -L♥
    www.cup-of-hot-tea.blogspot.cz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your closet is very organized Kim!I love that we both have the same bird cage earring holder! (Great minds think alike!)If I had your closet I would probably use the shelves in the middle to display all of my pretty shoes.

    I'm inspired to do a post like this and show how most of my closet is overflowing out to my living space b/c I share my studio w/ someone.

    I may be moving things in my closet this weekend so they can be color-coded lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The right tips I just need to reand!! thanks =D
    -Amara-

    http://knowyoucanfly.blogspot.it/2013/06/matura-finalmente.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! I always like to go in my friends closets, I think its so fun! I like to organize all my clothes by color too :)

    Katie
    Style Diary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything in my closet is in disarray! I don't like it! Of course a lot of my clothes are also packed right now too. It's a little difficult to find certain things. I look forward to being able to unpack and organize. Hopefully it'll turn out as neatly as yours.

    Bitten Glam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how you organized your jewelry! :) such a great idea.

    Xx Karen
    sincerelykn.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You're closet is perfect!! Ahahahah i'll try to follow your tips =)
    A big kiss
    Ylenia

    visit my blog if you like at

    www.wallofstyleblog.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how you have hung your jewellery, need to find some shelves like the the ones you have your folded clothes on!
    Laura. xx

    www.stylishvue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really need to get that belt hange, didn't even know something like that exsists! Have to tidy up my room a little, all my winter stuff is still in it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm the same I like my closet tidy. And the same as you I divide my clothes like you. Although I always have separate shelve for summer clothes:-)

    Kisses
    Ewelina
    chiclifestyleofewelina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely need this post in my life!

    Macie,
    Amen Fashion †

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! My closet is mostly organized but the shoes are always covering the floor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This a great post! I enjoyed reading it.

    I think this article could complement your post.

    Good luck with your future piece :)

    ReplyDelete